A very good scam / spam email
Posted by Support Steve on 16 April 2008 10:47 PM
I must admit this is one of the better scam/spam emails I have seen in a while.|
1. The domain name in the email: the-national-lottery.org does not belong to us or any of our partners, however the perpetrators are linking to one of our partner sites notably: http://www.thenationallottery.org/.
2. If you run a whois on the domain you will see that the scammers have used Camelot PLC based in london for their registration information - Clever, although the domain was only recently registered.
3. The payment method is suspect - I would not entertain the link they have provided.
4. We have contacted Go-Daddy (the registrar of the-national-lottery.org) and have requested that they remove any forwards from the domain to our partners site.
I hope this helps.
Email from customer:
Following below is a copy of an email sent to me by your company. Please verify in order to go ahead with the release of my winnings. regards
We are pleased to announce you as one of the 6 lucky winners in the Euro Millions Lottery International Email Address draw on the 14th of March 2008, due to the mixture of names and address the result was released the 1st of April 2008. All 6 winning addresses were randomly selected from a batch of 50,000,000 international email addresses. Your email address emerged alongside 5 other as a second category winner in the Euro Millions Lottery Draw.
Consequently, you have therefore been approved for a total pay out of Euro 510, 290.08 (Five hundred and ten thousand two hundred and ninety euros, eight cents only) which is equivalent to US$793,890 (Seven hundred and ninety three thousand eight hundred and ninety United States dollars only). The following particulars are attached to your lotto payment order:
(i) Serial Batch No: 83200-0
(ii) Ticket No: 01- 1204
(iii) Winning No: 13-21-25-35-48 + 4-8
(iv) Ref No: 088-05498646-034
The Euro Millions Lottery Program internet draw is held once in a year and is so organized to encourage the use of the internet and computers worldwide. We are proud to say that over 200 Million Euros are won annually in more than 150 countries worldwide.
To claim your winning prize you are to contact the appointed agent as soon as possible for the immediate release of your winnings:
Mr. Evans Rafael.
Tel: +44 1512060123
N.B: Steps to claiming your prize;
1.Please quote your Reference number in all correspondence with the claims officer.
2. You must contact the appointed agent with your Full Names, Contact Telephone Numbers (Home, Office and Mobile Number and also Fax Number) via email to process the immediate payment of your prize.
3. You must pay transfer fees of a total of Euro 1,307.78 (One thousand and three hundred and seven, seventy eight cents only). The payment will be through https://www.alertpay.com/PayProcess.aspx?ap_productid=WQqBQv74p1D6xE4BusTmDA%3d%3d&ap_quantity=1
A copy of the money transcript should be sent via email with all the above required information.
Methods of Payment;
Use your credit card to make a payment.
Electronic Funds Transfer
Initiate a bank wire from your bank to fund your AlertPay account. Funds must be in USD currency.
Transfer funds from your bank account to fund your AlertPay account. Only works for the following countries: Australia, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Canada, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Faroe Islands, Finland, France, Hong Kong, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Lithuania, Malaysia, ?Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Singapore, Slovakia, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom, and United Sates
Send a Certified/Cashier's Check to AlertPay by post to fund your AlertPay account. Funds must be in USD currency.
Send a Money Order to AlertPay by post to fund your AlertPay account. Funds must be sent in USD currency.
Once again congratulations!!!
Mr. Emil Meier Eduardo
Euro Millions Lottery.
Serial Mail No: